I should have just been honest and filed the required
paperwork with the disabilities office. There’s just too much paperwork to deal
with to make the process worthwhile. I don’t want any special accommodations.
It’s an incredible struggle at times, but I manage to somehow get by. I tell
myself I’m lucky to be smart enough to get good grades in school in spite of my
emotional difficulties.
I’ve struggled with a severe depression and anxiety disorder
since I was eight years old. I’ve been to multiple doctors, taken a myriad of
medications, and have even been hospitalized when my disorder reached the point
of nearly ending my life. Yet, I’m still determined to make it through on my
own merit and stubbornness instead of reaching out for additional assistance.
Still, it would be nice to be able to share my personal
struggles with my instructors. I don’t want their concessions, but I would
appreciate their understanding. Unfortunately, emotional disorders are still a
sensitive subject to discuss. They are surrounded by a lot of toxic shame and
misinformation. There are social stigmas and discrimination associated with
invisible disabilities, just as there are with visible disabilities, whenever
identification is unveiled.
Dealing with an emotional disorder, and the consequent sexual
addiction that has arisen as a result, is beyond taxing. Addictions are permeated
with guilt and resentment and are sustained through a vicious cycle of
negativity, conditioned habitual behaviors, and destructive reinforcement.
Partaking in recovery while trying to dig myself out of a 30-year trench of
debasement is a battle I’ve chosen to fight because it’s a battle worth
fighting for.
No comments:
Post a Comment